Current funded research projects
- I am an EPSRC-funded Dream Fellow exploring the theme Inspiration, Immersion and Impact with the Creative Industries through a series of visiting positions with creative companies including the BBC and Microsoft Research.
- Fusing Semantic and Audio Technologies for Intelligent Music Production and Consumption (FAST) is an EPSRC funded Programme Grant exploring future music technologies in partnership with Queen Mary College London and The University of Oxford.
- Unilever are funding a major three year programme of activity to explore the augmentation of fast moving consumer goods as part of the emerging Internet of Things.
- Living with Interactive Decorative Patterns is a Digital Economy programme ‘research in the wild’ project funded by EPSRC exploring applications of interactive decorative patterns.
- Magellan is an EU-funded project to enhance the creativity of people by establishing a web platform for cost-effectively authoring, publishing, executing, and experiencing location based games.
- I am Director of the ‘Horizon: My Life In Data’ Centre for Doctoral Training which was initially funded by EPSRC to train over 90 PhD students with the interdisciplinary skills and knowledge required to be industry and research leaders in the digital economy. The centre was recently renewed in 2014 to train a further 80 students with a focus on the role of personal data in constructing digital identities.
- The RCUK-funded Horizon Digital Economy hub brings together researchers from a broad range of disciplines to investigate how digital technology may enhance the way we live, work, play and travel in the future.
- Archives, Assets and Audiences is an AHRC creative economy knowledge exchange project in collaboration with the University of Leicester and Nottingham Trent University that is bringing together academics, industry and public partners to explore how digital technologies can enable new industrial heritage experiences.
- Living with Digital Ubiquity is an EPSRC-funded platform grant that underpins our work at the Mixed Reality Laboratory, enabling us to open up new research territory by funding sensitising studies, early prototypes and support an artist in residency scheme.
- Data-Method-Asset: Harnessing the Infinite Archive is s an international research network led by the University of Nottingham and funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute. The network brings together university partners in the UK and US, and with cultural institutions and industry partners in the UK. Together, we explore the shaping of digital archives and in turn, technology and knowledge.
- Funded by Google/You Tube, the MarathOnLive project involves a team of our doctoral training centre students developing and studying a system to enable spectators to crowdsource the coverage of marathon races.
View my present and past EPSRC grant portfolio here.
Previous research grants
|The Challenge of Widespread Ubiquitous Computing||2008||2013||EPSRC||Platform grant|
|CHESS (Cultural Heritage Experiences through Socio-personal interactions and Storytelling)||2010||2013||EU||STREP|
|Towards Pervasive Media||2010||2011||EPSRC||Feasibility Account|
|Riders Have Spoken: Designing and Evaluating an Archive for Replaying Interactive Performances||2010||2011||AHRC|
|Wearable Biosensing and the Design, Documentation and Adaptation of Entertainment Experiences||2008||2009||EPSRC||Digital Economy Feasibility Study|
|New Research Processes and Business Models for the Creative Industries||2008||2009||EPSRC||Digital Economy Cluster|
|Homework: Shaping Future User Centred Domestic Infrastructures||2008||2011||EPSRC||WINES III|
|Bridging the gaps between mathematics, ICT and Engineering at Nottingham||2007||2009||EPSRC|
|Flypad Production||2007||2008||The Public|
|Towards making Grid-Enabled Schools eScience usable and reusable for and with teachers||2007||2008||ESRC|
|Nottingham e-Science and GRID||2004||2005||HEFCE||SRIF II|
|INSCAPE: Interactive Storytelling for Creative People||2004||2008||EU||VI Framework IST|
|iPerG: Integrated project on Pervasive Gaming||2004||2008||EU||VI Framework IST|
|Pervasive and Locative Media||2004||2006||EPSRC|
|Leonardo: EU/New Zealand Pilot Cooperation||2004||2008||EU|
|A Mutual Friend||2003||2004||AHRC|
|Development of an e-Environment learning facility for schools||2003||2004||HEFCE||JISC|
|Virtual Surgery Simulator using Boundary Element Analysis||2002||2005||EPSRC||Healthcare Informatics|
|Virtual Reality Flightdeck Technology||2002||2005||EPSRC||Flightdeck Safety|
|Environmental e-science in the lab and in the field||2002||2005||EPSRC||eScience Core Programme|
|Shape: Situating Hybrid Assemblies in Public Environments||2001||2004||EU||V Framework FET|
|Using virtual environments to develop social skills for people with Asperger’s Syndrome||2000||2003||Shirley Foundation|
|Equator – Technical Innovation in Physical and Digital Life (GR/N15986/01)||2000||2007||EPSRC||IRC|
|VIKE – The Visualisation, Imaging and Interactive Knowledge Environment||1999||2002||EPSRC||JREI – Joint Research Equipment Initiative|
|Combining visualisation, communication and telepresence in a mixed reality control room||1998||2001||British Gas||Case award|
|KidStory: developing collaborative storytelling environments for children, with children||1998||2001||EU||ESPRIT IV Long Term Research|
|Developing a Virtual Campus||1997||1999||HEFCE||JISC|
|Social Interaction Through Objects in Co-Present and Virtual Environments||1997||1999||ESRC|
|eRENA – Electronic Arenas for Culture, Performance, Art and Entertainment||1997||2000||EU||ESPRIT IV Long Term Research|
|Multimedia Networking for Inhabited Television||1997||2000||EPSRC|
|Network Architectures for Inhabited Television||1997||2000||Industry||BT|
|Large-scale Distributed Multi-User Virtual Reality||1996||1999||EPSRC|
|Inhabited Information Spaces||1996||1996||EU||EPSRIT IV Long Term research I3|
|Virtual Reality Training Techniques||1996||1996||EU||European Parliament|
|DEVRL – The Distributed Extensible Virtual Reality Laboratory||1995||1997||EPSRC||ROPA|
|The Use of Virtual Reality in the Treatment of Phobias||1995||1995||MRC|
|Inhabiting the Web||1995||1997||Industry||British Telecom|
|Populated Information Terrains||1995||1998||Industry||British Gas|
|Architectures For Distributed Virtual Reality||1995||1998||EPSRC||British Telecom|
|COVEN – Collaborative Virtual Environments||1995||1998||EU||ACTS|
|CAJUN – Electronic Dissemination of Journals||1993||1995||Industry||Wiley and Chapman and Hall Publishers|
|Virtuosi – Support for Virtual Organisations||1993||1997||EPSRC||CSCW programme with DTI|
|An Investigation into User Requirements for Advanced Spatial Decision Support Systems||1993||1994||ESRC|
|COMIC – Configurable Mechanisms for Cooperative Work||1992||1995||EU||ESPRIT Basic Research|
|CEILIDH – Courseware to Support the Teaching of Programming||1992||1995||HEFCE||TLP Phase 1|
|MOCCA – Environments for CSCW||1991||1993||EU||COST-11-TER|
|The Ceilidh System for Automatically Assessing Computer Programs.||1991||1991||University||Enterprise scheme|
|GRACE – Building Distributed Group Communication on OSI||1989||1992||HEFCE||TLP Phase 1|